- What your character wants to achieve, or what their ultimate goal is (truth, knowledge or a basic need?)
- Why your character wants to achieve this (emotions, a past incident, an antagonist?)
- What might the consequences be if they do?
To summarise - what motivates characters?
- Emotions – resentment, hate, love, revenge etc
- Past incidents
- Childhood events
- Present incidents
- Need – what does the character want and why? How will the character achieve it?
- Truth and knowledge
Motivation is so important – without it there won’t be a character in your story for your reader to care about. That’s because most emotional aspects of motivation are shared by just about everyone on the planet – we want truth, a sense of justice, a sense of life balance, we want to get the girl or guy or our dreams, to live happily ever after, we want to exercise those demons and negative emotions or put the past to rest. We want to achieve our goals. All these things motivate us.