- The story/MSS will contain silly mistakes.
- The story/MSS will contain flaws and contradictions.
- The story/MSS might be deficient in plot/characterisation/structure etc.
- The story/MSS might not have the right balance of crucial elements.
- It will show how ill prepared and unprofessional you are.
- Take the time to write – don’t rush your writing.
- Take the time to thoroughly read through and edit your work in order to clear those mistakes, plot flaws and contradictions etc.
- Take the time to balance your story/MSS.
- Put in the effort – agents and editors will notice this.
Next week: Tricks of the trade – handy writing hints